Summer school of Polish language, literature and culture
|Program||Day by day||Lectures – description||Meet teachers and lecturers|
The lesson hour equals 45 minutes. (The course includes 4 lessons and individual consultations from Monday to Friday). Tours and cultural events will be offered during the weekends and public holidays.
The program includes:
• Polish language course (stationary: 80 hours or online: 60 hours),
• “Polish Life and Culture” seminar,
• Cultural program,
• Tours (virtual and in real life).
Polish language course starts with a placement test to estimate the level of each participant and determine which group would be the most suitable for them. Sample tasks will be available from 21 June and sample test from 28 June. The proper placement test will take place on 1 August: stationary at the University of Silesia and 1 July online (link will be available on the website).
The course ends with a language test to check the progress made by the participants. Certificates are issued accordingly to the results. Besides the certificates, the School gives credit points for the participation in the course as well.
Program of the language course includes:
• intensive Polish language classes (4 lesson hours a day, in total: 80/60 lesson hours),
• language consultations (min. 1 lesson hour a day),
• language games (around 20 hours).
Language consultations (conversation, pronunciation, writing, reading and listening comprehension, grammar) provide the opportunity for the participants to practice language according to their needs and interests.
Students of the Summer School also learn Polish through participation in various educational language games, School Theatre, Translating Competition, and editing the School magazine. They may also participate in the “Polish Language Quiz”, whose winner is awarded with the title of the “Foreign Master of Polish Language”. All people interested in Polish language from all around the world can take part in the Quiz, even if they do not participate in the course.
“Polish Life and Culture” seminar
„Polish Life and Culture” is a series of afternoon lectures and seminars, together with cultural programs, meetings and other activities. It consists of two alternative components:
• popular program – designed for students who would like to get to know Polish culture, history and current affairs as well as for students who do not study Polish or Slavic Philology. The course is conducted both in Polish and in English and participants are free to choose one out of the two.
• academic program- designed for students of Polish or Slavic Philologies and people who wish to study specific problems concerning Polish language, culture, art, history and current affairs. The course is conducted in Polish.
Both programs will consist of lectures and seminars taking place in real time both stationary and online, with the lecturer present, and of pre-prepared materials that will be available to the participants at any time.
The School issues a certificate confirming the assignment of a chosen program, and attending the “Polish Life and Culture” seminar. Having completed all components of the program, participants receive the certificate and a proper number of credit points.
The cultural program includes:
• various films propositions (from legal sources),
• concerts and music evenings (Polish classical music, Polish folk music, Polish dances, Polish contemporary pop music),
• visits to art galleries and museums (virtual and in real life),
• meetings with Polish celebrities (politicians, journalists, artists, writers).
Tours (virtual and in real life)
Tours, designed especially for the participants of the Summer School, include Cieszyn – a beautiful border town close to Beskid Mountains, where the Summer School is held, Oświęcim, Upper Silesia, Beskid Mountains and Cracow. During these tours (both virtual and in real life), participants will meet people who will share their knowledge and passion with them.
One thing is certain – you won’t get bored! Southern Poland will delight you!